*Makes 1 Large Roast
· 2 cups vital wheat gluten
· ½ cup nutritional yeast
· ¼ cup chickpea flour
· 1 tbsp poultry seasoning
· 1 tbsp granulated onion or onion powder
· 1 tsp fine sea salt
· ½ tsp ground white pepper
· 2 cups cool water
· 1 tbsp olive oil
· 1 tbsp soy sauce
1. In a large bowl, mix together the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast flakes, chickpea flour, poultry seasoning, granulated onion, salt and white pepper.
2. In a large measuring cup, whisk together the water, olive oil, soy sauce and gently stir into the dry ingredients. Stir just until ingredients are mixed.
3. Shape the dough into a roast shape and wrap in a damp tea towel or double layer of damped cheese-cloth, tying the ends with cotton twine.
4. Fill the bottom of a steamer with water and heat until simmering.
5. Place the roast in the steamer, cover and steam for 45-50 minutes or until firm to the touch. If a steamer is unavailable to you, you can place a small collapsible steamer insert in a large stock pot, with simmering water underneath.
6. You may also wrap the roast in a large piece of aluminum foil, twisting the ends to seal. Although you want to wrap it well, don’t cover in too many layers of foil or else the steam wont be able to penetrate the roast. If steaming the roast in foil, steam for 60 minutes, open foil, and steam again for an additional 5 minutes. The roast should be fairly firm to the touch.
7. Uncover the steamer and let stand for 5 minutes.
8. Carefully remove the roast from the steamer to a cutting board. Unwrap. Let the roast cool on the board and refrigerate in a covered container until ready to use.